Wednesday, December 31, 2014

*Roselle John Plumb (1886-1960)



Born: 7 Apr 1886, Eastonville, CO

Parents: Williston Theron Plumb and Ellen E. Robinson

Children:
Frances Elaine Plumb [Huntington] (1917-2011)
Harold Rozelle Plumb (1909-1978)



Siblings:
Theron Plumb
Bessie Plumb [Evans]
Edward Stanford Plumb

Roselle (right) with his sister Bessie



Childhood: attended the nearby one-room country school, then went to Colorado Springs, for high school and business, college.

Bessie driving Roselle's surrey while they are dating

January 30, 1907: Dating Bessie (see below for transcript of letter that I have from him to her).

Grammy has a story about the fact that there was another boy who was interested in Bessie, so she asked her father to tell him that she couldn't date until she was 16. So then, when Roselle came courting, she had to wait.

Married to: Bessie Helen Cole in 19 June 1907 on the Cole homestead. The circuit riding preacher Rev. J. N. Davis officiated.



August 1907: sold out holdings in ranch and began studies at Western Holiness Bible College, Colorado Springs. During studies did practical training at mission work in Fort Collins, Pueblo, and Grand Junction.

1909: birth of Harold Rozelle Plumb

1910 Census has him living in Clifton, Mesa, Colorado, with Bessie (19) and Harold (1).

August 1910: became elder in Nazarene church.

1917: birth of Frances Elaine Plumb
Roselle and Bessie with Frances

1917/8 WWI draft registration card has Roselle listed as a self-employed farmer. (Brown eyes, brown hair.)



1920 Census has him (34) living in Canon, Fremont, Colorado with Bessie(29, job "none"), Harold R. (11), and Frances E. (2 1/2). He is listed as a minister in the Nazarene church.

1930 Census has him (44) living in Spokane, Washington with Bessie (39, job "none"), and Frances E (12). He is listed as a pastor in the Methodist church.

1935 listed on 1940 census as living in "same place" (1400 Breeze Street, Pasadena) as 1940 census.

1940 Census has him (54) living with Bessie (49) at 1400 Breeze Street, Pasadena, Los Angeles, California. "Highest grade completed: college 3rd year." Minister. Income 2400. Income from other sources: yes. House rented.

1942 US WWII draft registration card has him (56 yrs old) and Bessie living in Walla Walla at 827 Washington St. Telephone is 1144. His employer is the Nazarene church on Clinton and Alder.


Died: 15 Jun 1960, Long Beach, CA

Buried: 18 Jun 1960, Mt. View Cemetery, Altadena, California



District Superintendent California and Washington Education. Made DD (Doctor in Divinity) by Pasadena College


From "Our Pioneer Nazarenes" by C.T. Corbett

[see previous paragraphs of this account in profiles of Williston and Ellen]

On this, homestead, April 7, 1886, their sixth child was born. He was named Roselle John. For him God had a plan. "R. J." attended the nearby one-room country school, then went to Colorado Springs, for high school and business, college. In his seventeenth year he met and became interested in Miss, Bessie H. Cole. The Cole family, also from Iowa, had settled on their ranch near the Plumbs.

About this time there came into the community a United Brethren circuit rider by the name of Rev. J. N. Davis. He launched a revival campaign in the country schoolhouse. Homesteaders for miles, around attended the meetings, including the above-mentioned young couple. Among those finding God were Mr. Plumb and Miss Cole. As their romance flowered forth into marriage, the circuit-riding minister was on hand to perform the ceremony at the Cole homestead on June 19, 1907.

Two months later the Pikes Peak Holiness Camp Meeting was under way led by Rev. W. H. Lee, superintendent of the People's Mission church; and Rev. Seth C. Rees, the fiery evangelist. It was at this camp, down in the straw, while Plumb was seeking and finding the experience of sanctification, that God very plainly spoke to young Plumb about his life's work, namely, preaching the gospel of Jesus, Christ. It was a momentous, decision indeed for a devoted couple facing the future.

That autumn the R. J. Plumbs sold out their ranch holdings and entered Western Holiness Bible College, Colorado Springs. His ministerial studies were coupled with practical training at mission work in Fort Collins, Pueblo, and Grand Junction. In proper time Rev. W. H. Lee ordained R. J. Plumb for the work of the ministry.

In August, 1910, Dr. P. F. Bresee, founder of the Church of the Nazarene in the West, came upon invitation to the Pikes Peak Camp Meeting. He received the People's Mission church into the Nazarene denomination. Brother and Sister Plumb were in that happy group. As the Colorado District Assembly convened with Dr. P. F. Bresee presiding, Brother Plumb was among those granted Nazarene elder's orders by the founder. Little did either man know at the time what God had in store for the youth and the movement into which he was to pour his life.

Transcript of letter dated January 30, 1907 [typed as he wrote, with mistakes, punctuation, etc.]

Eastonville, Colorado, January 30th 1907.
My dear little girl. You are very good to write often as I have asked you for every evening when I get home there is a good little letter from you waiting for me. Tonight when I came in Mother says "Your letter is over on the table for which I made a dash. I read it before taking off my cap or coat. I was very sorry to hear that you are not well but I suppose that this week is your week off anyhow. It is four weeks tonight since you was so very tired and sleepy you know just before we went to Denver.

I am feeling fine again now I guess it agrees with me to work.

To-day the "whole works." Maudlin the wife: and four children were baking. Mrs. M. does the tieing. We had our dinner in the field. The youngest one had several meals. Ha! You know every time we would stop a little while she would go and take the little kid and presently I would hear the sound (which one never forgets) yum! yum!

I'm glad you can't reach me. for one reason, I would be getting ready to dodge. But if I had my choice I would have you here and would bear with pleasure one or two of those cruel blows I used to get when I was a little "bad" and didn't have my arms around you so tight you couldn't get at me.

I shaved my whiskers off last Sat. night but my mustache is still flourshing.

I moved the little desk from my room upstairs down here in the kitchen and spend all my evenings seated at it. I have your picture with one of mine side by each on top and very occasionally glance up at them and wonder how long it will be before we are close to-gether as that. Now sweet-heart you must take as good care of yourself as you can and even if you don't get entirely well before June, I am sure I love you enough to be considerate of my little girls condition and to be just as good to you as anyone could be.

I do not know much about your folks, only that Mamie has been home visiting for a day or two and that your father is over at Table Rock (I am told) baling hay.

How do you like the "nice girl" by this time? and what is her name?

I would be willing to sit and listen to you most any of these or any other evenings. It is so nice to have you mention those things. I love to have you think about that "happy time" when we will spend not a few but all our evenings together. And so dear of you to say the train will be bringing you back to me. I have to think twice before I can believe it is true that it is I that you are coming back for, and yet I believe it is so. And what is better yet, you have said "never to leave me again." Just to think and believe that you really never want to leave me any more is enough to make me happy in your absence.

Never mind about the defects in the picture. It is yet the dearest face in all the world to me and I am going to do my best to keep that face just as bright and full of love for a long, long time.

Well, I hope your "bum" feelings won't get any worse and that the later part of the week won't be very hard on you and will say good bye for to-night and tell you I am truly glad that my dear Bessie loves me yet.

I remain your loving h_ (after while) Roselle.



Photocopy of California driver's licence:
License expires 9-3-61, licence # W593081
Roselle John Plumb
4802 Castana Ave
Lakewood 11 Calif.
Male, height 5'10", date of birth Apr 7 1886
Weight 185; color eyes: hzl; color hair: gry; age 71
Previous license number W 593081; date of expiration 1957; married? yes
Has signature and fingerprint.

 


From photocopy of death certificate:
Roselle John Plumb. Date of death June 15, 1960 at 9:30am.
Male, Caucasian, birthplace Colorado.
Date of birth, April 7, 1886. Age 74.
Name and birthplace of father: Williston T. Plumb-Mo.
Maiden name and birthplace of mother: Ellen Robinson - Iowa.
Citizen of USA, Social security number 572-50-8152
Last occupation: minister. Number of years in the occupation: 53 yrs. Name of last employing company or firm: Nazarene Church. Kind of industry or business: Christian Ministry.
Box for "deceased was ever in US armed forces" has been left blank.
Married. Bessie H. Plumb. Housewife
Place of death: Community Hospital - DOA, died at Termino & Pac. Cst. Hwy., inside city corporate limits.
City or town: Long Beach, Los Angeles.
Length of stay in county of death: 27 years. Length of stay in California: 27 years.
Last usual residence: 4802 Castana Ave., Lakewood, Los Angeles, Calif. (inside city corporate limits).
Name of informant, other than spouse (left blank).
Physician or Coroner: (signed) Wyant J. Shively M.D.
Under "I hereby certify that death occured at the hour date and place stated from the causes stated below and that I have held" is handwritten: "investigation" on the remains of the deceased as required by law.
Address: Hall of Justice, Los Angeles. Date signed: 6-15-60
Burial or cremation: burial. Date 6/18/60. Mt. View Cemetery, Altadena, Calif.
Cause of death: arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
No operation performed. No autopsy performed. Local registrar stamped Jun 17, 1960.









No comments:

Post a Comment